28 March 2008

CAL TJADER - PRIMO






















Cal Tjader for Fantasy from 1973
Arranged and Conducted by Charlie Palmieri and Tito Puente.
Total bomb from the Big Three-Cal,Charlie,Tito.
Jose Merino-Trumpet, Louis Laurita-Trumpet, Jack Jeffers-Trombone,Tuba, Bobby Nelson-Tenor, Charlie Palmieri-Keyboards, Bobby Rodriguez-Bass, Enrique Davila-Timbales, Tito Puente-Timbales, Ismael Quintana-Percussion,Vocal, Victor Aviles-Vocal, Victor Velasquez-Vocal, William Rodriguez-Bongos, Luis Rodriguez-Conga.

Dusty Groove love it:
A really hard-hitting set from Cal Tjader and one that's done with a good dose of 60s Latin Soul as well! The album was recorded in the early 70s, but it's really got a late 60s New York flavor thanks to arrangers Charlie Palmieri and Tito Puente who cook up a groove that's sockingly soulful, and much more outta site than some of Tjader's other work from the time! The style here is more Fania than Fantasy Records and Cal jumps right in with some great work on vibes ringing out in a tight, Joe Cuba-esque mode on cuts that include great covers of "El Watusi" and "Bang Bang" plus "Gringo City", "Vibe Mambo", and "Mambo Show". Proof that Latin Soul was alive and well in the 70s if you knew where to look!

And so does Scott Yanow!:
This lp brings back one of Cal Tjader's best late-period recordings and finds the vibraphonist adapting his 1950s Latin jazz concept to the 1970s without losing any vitality. Tjader is joined by four horns, the legendary keyboardist Charlie Palmieri, electric bassist Bobby Rodriguez, and six percussionists; Tito Puente (who plays timbales on Mario Bauza's "Tanga") and Palmieri provided the heated arrangements.Highly recommended to collectors of Latin jazz.

And so do I !!!!
Ripped @ 320 from the original vinyl.

24 comments:

bacoso said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/103097115/Cal_Tjader.rar

Burning Blue Soul said...

Great share, Bacoso; thanks loads for this one. It's one of those records that looked great but I always either found a copy that was beat to shit. This will hold me over!

a mind with no ceiling said...

All I can say is...keep them coming! you're blessing us with those latin sides!
muchisimas gracias.

a mind with no ceiling said...

All I can say is...keep them coming! you're blessing us with those latin sides!
muchisimas gracias.

Roy said...

This one is in print on CD with one alternate take.

AvantGrape said...

Always love hearing Cal do his thang. Thanks man.

Great job on other blog BTW. That's quite an effort on your part.

katonah said...

Nice ...

could this be as good as tjader??
mambero is an all time fav
thanks again as ever

les said...

Primo indeed! You've opened my eyes to the world of Tjader for a while now. I never knew he had so many good albums out there. I thought he was wimpy. I was wrong.

Cheers.

les said...

Primo indeed! You've opened my eyes to the world of Tjader for a while now. I never knew he had so many good albums out there. I thought he was wimpy. I was wrong.

Cheers.

IndustriasMartínez said...

Hola Bacoso! saludos desde Madrid tanks for sharing your excellent music.I can`t express enough my gratitude.it's so cool to learn from other music maniacs.
This record is outrageously good I loved that Louie ramirez ali Baba Too
Que sonido! es una bomba!
Kudos to you
Martinez

Sergio said...

Looks like vintage Cal. Thanks!

fritz the cat said...

Excellent. Thank you very much.

svend g said...

Always a Tjader fan, but never heard this one. Thanks a lot!

IR e L a IXI said...

thanks for the tunes bacosco!! big fan of cal tjader

il angelo said...

First time I saw the cover of this one made me laugh aloud first : the "Callejon del Agua" of my place (Seville). I remembered it for this but never checked it even if a friend had an awful copy. It turns out to be an infectious monster. Thanks.

golden boy said...

Thanks for Cal Tjader. Can't get enough.

catacaldos said...

Great stuff.Gracias

kizza said...

Cal Tjader is great - and i haven't heard this LP before - so thanks heaps!

MAHARAJAH said...

I just bought this vinyl the other day b/c it has been sampled before so I wanted to check it out.


P.S.

Just added some new albums...check them out

I don't know if your in to hip hop, but I got my other blog which is mostly dedicated to hip hop

http://shytiwanttolistentoo.blogspot.com/

Manny said...

thanks for sharing

winton tostello said...

thanks very, very much.you 're the absolute tjaderist.this must hits it hard!!1

Diego Carrasco said...

Saludos Bacoso, gracias gigantes por tan estupenda seleccion.


Un abrazo desde la mitad del mundo , Quito

Lucifer Sam said...

Found this on vinyl a couple of weeks ago. The song called Gringo City is the BOMB!!!

Easy Jams said...

More Cal Tjader here: http://easyjams.blogspot.com/2012/02/cal-tjader-puttin-it-together-1974.html