8 December 2007

MASABUMI KIKUCHI - EAST WIND
























Masabumi Kikuchi for EastWind from 1976.
Masabumi Kikuchi (p)Terumasa Hino (tp), Kousuke Mine (ts), Juni Booth (b), Eric Gravatt (ds).
More hard core jap business this is an acoustic session of wonderful deep spiritual jazz featuring two extended compositions for each side of the lp.A great heavy duty rhythm session of Juni Booth and Eric Gravatt gives you a good idea of what it's going to sound like.Must be one of Gravatt's last sessions before he jacked it all in and became a prison warder.He's been playing again over the past few years and I saw him give his kit a good battering in Gary Bartz's band about 2004.
Highly Recommended.
Ripped @320 from the original vinyl-reissued on cd about 1998 and now deleted.

12 comments:

pepper67 said...

Amazing Stuff. Never heard of the leader before but I love all the Hino stuff I've heard from this era. Thank a ton.

Jazz-Nekko said...

pepper67,

"Never heard of the leader before.." How is it possible? You, never hearing of someone? More so - Kikuchi-san!

Bacoso, you devil - do you remember about the "Collaboration" discussion we had a whilst ago?

Again - thanks for the support for our jazz!

JN

pepper67 said...

Jazz-Nekko.

It is for sure my loss never to have heard of Masabumi Kikuchi before. I really enjoyed this album very much. Another Japanese jazz artist I heard for the first time a few months ago who also blew me away: Takehiro Honda's "Salaam Salaam" that album also was amazing. thanks again for the post

"Big Al" Marghreb said...

Prison warder?! There indeed lies a tale. Thanks for the awesome post. Not what I usually would have gone for, but on the strength of your recommendation I got a great album. Thanks again!

glmlr said...

Great choice! I've loved this record since the day it came out. Eric Gravatt is unforgettable.

thebeathunters said...

this japanese series added to vesper's thing is killing me... you guys deserve the crown!
peace

יאיר שפיגל said...

This is SOOOOOO good.
Thanks.

BabyBreeze said...

Killer stuff. Also loved the Hino album with Bartz, "Love Nature," which I believe I got from here.

apani said...

thanks for the gem! cannot wait to listen to it.

Art Simon said...

Awesome! Masabumi Kikuchi really kicks this one out, great stuff!

mattas said...

so good...listening now///

apf said...

Thank you!