10 October 2007

CAL TJADER PLUGS IN













Cal Tjader's third album for Skye from 1969.
Cal Tjader Live at the Lighthouse Hermosa Beach, CA: February 20-21, 1969 Al Zulaica (el-p); Jim McCabe (el-b); Johnny Rae (perc); Cal Tjader (vib); Armando Peraza (cga).
Dusty Groove on the case:
A beautifully plugged-in, turned-on session from Cal Tjader -- one that features the funky vibist alongside some sweet Fender Rhodes! The session was recorded live, but it's got a flowing, modal quality that rivals Tjader's best work in the studio for Verve and Fantasy at the end of the 60s -- a soaring, spacious sound that comes from the interplay between Cal's ringing vibes and the Fender Rhodes and acoustic piano work of Al Zulaica -- an excellent player we only know from a few of Tjader's albums. Armando Peraza provides some tight conga work on the set -- and titles include "Spooky", "Tra La La Song", "Morning Mist", "Alonzo", "Nica's Dream", and "Get Out of My Way" -- a great instrumental take on the Latin soul hit from Joe Torres!
Ripped @320 from the Skye CD reissue on DCC.

9 comments:

mark885 said...

Hi
After a month of browsing and sampling the OIR site I've gotta say massive respect to you for releasing these tunes to the wider public. On Cal Tjader I hadn't heard the Prophet in many years - nice one! For me though, the real Tjader tunz are from his earlier work on albums such as Latino, Latin Concert, Monterray Concert, etc - he just burns with Mongo Santamaria. If I knew how to drive my PC better I’d pass them over to give you a taste. Cheers. Mark

bacoso said...

mark885-I have the Cal Tjader lps you mention and in fact nearly all his releases on vinyl and cd.This series of posts was to highlight his music from the lte 60s and 70s.I'll be covering the earlier stuff at some point in the future.Agreed that Santamaria and Bobo were one of his best rhythm sections.Thanks for your comment.

Holly said...

Great stuff as per usual! Respect and thanks!

palojoe said...

WAAAAAAWWWWW DAAAMNNNN,...youuu i`m not dreaming am I????? thank you thank you ,...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe ,..I wont sleep tonight !! damn ,...love you man and thanks again,...bacosooo you,....!!!!

the jazzman said...

Thanks again for all the great old Cal Tjader albums.

fslmy said...

Thanks for posting some of your impressive Cal Tjader collection.

Mr B said...

thanks for this great serie !

Dj Canalh said...

being a great fan of Cal Tjader (I may have discovered it through your blog in fact..., I want to send you a "sunny thanks" from south France.

andrew embassy said...

Oh man, I've been looking for this forever! Thank you so much!