6 July 2007

SHIRLEY SCOTT WITH THE LATIN JAZZ QUINTET - MUCHO MUCHO























Our girl Shirl teams up with Gene Casey-Piano;Juan Amalbert-Conga;Manny Ramos-Timbales;Bill Ellington-Bass;Phil Diaz on vibes aka The Latin Jazz Quintet for this Hammond meets latin swinger on Prestige from 1960.

Dusty Groove on the case:
An excellent album that mixes Latin grooves with heavy Hammond organ -- one of the most unique albums ever recorded by the great Shirley Scott! The session features Shirley's organ backed up by the Latin Jazz Quintet of Juan Amalbert-- a very hip combo that blends together piano, vibes, and percussion -- all with a highly rhythmic approach that really drives the album! The blend of organ and Latin modes was quite unique for the time -- and still sounds pretty darn great today -- and titles include "Mucho Mucho", "Muy Azul", "Tell Me", "The Lady Is A Tramp", and a nice long Latin version of "Walkin".

Ripped@320 from the Japanese issue cd which is now unavailable

10 comments:

Sergio said...

Another winner from Shirley. Thank you Bacoso. Jazz organ albums are always welcome.

jean lafite said...

i dig shirl. thanks bacoso.

David Federman said...

God bless the Japanese. Take a look at our music collections and think what they'd be like if the Japanese didn't adore American jazz. Thanks for this.

Daniel said...

Would it be possible for you to list the correct song titles for the bonfa and shirley scott albums?
Thanks.

bacoso said...

daniel-all the mp3s have the correct song titles attached to them already.

avocado kid said...

cool one.

Daniel said...

Well, some are correct and some aren't. But not to worry, I found a Shirley Scott discography and by comparing track lengths, I was able to figure out the correct titles.

Your 'I Get A Kick Out Of You' (3:59) is correct, as is 'Mucho Mucho' (14:17. Your 'Muy Azul' (7:29) is really 'Tell Me,' your 'Tell Me' (4:49) is really 'Lady is a Tramp,' your '...Tramp' (9:43) is 'Walkin,' and finally your 'Walkin' (3:45) is 'Muy Azul.'

I had to figure this out because that last track, written by Gene Casey, is such a killer, I had to know the right title.

I haven't performed the same exercise on the Bonfa. 'Gentle Rain' is correct, as I know that tune. The Granados 'Dance #5' is incorrect, as I know that tune too.

Still, let me close by saying thanks for the great sounds. Keep up the great work. Much appreciated.

bacoso said...

daniel-I have just looked at the file and your comment is totally correct.I used the album finder on windows media player to automatically do the tagging-I didnt check it !I can only think the track sequencing is different for the jsapanese cd I have.Luiz bonfa-Ill check this tonight as I did the tagging the same with this-my vinyl is the u.s. press on Ranwood so i guess it maybe the same story here!

Dj Canalh said...

I really liked this one, your blog is a blast

George said...

This music is just plain fun. Shirley Scott, queen of the B-3, settles in with the Latin Jazz Quintet. Has a bit of a Jimmy Smith meets Cal Tjader kind of feel to it.

And many thanks to Daniel for figuring out the correct order of the track names.