18 March 2007

MARCOS ARIEL - BAMBU





















Marcos Ariel from 1980 with a full force album of 100mph Brazilian fusion.It's a classic samba-fusion date showcasing Ariel on Fender Rhodes and acoustic piano, supported by world-class players!
Have a read and see what he had to say about his great lp at Whatmusic.com who reissued it in 2004:

The album Bambu was my first phonographic work and it was the accomplishment of a dream that had begun when I was 9 years old and was beginning my classical piano studies.
When I was 15 years old, I’d started to be interested in Choro and Jazz, and because of the Music of Pixinguinha, I began to study the flute.
While I was attending Hermeto Paschoal’s first show in 1972, in Rio de Janeiro, I found my calling in the complex diversity of World Music. After this show of Hermeto’s, I attended shows by Egberto Gismonti, Victor Assis Brasil, Luis Eça, Tom Jobim, Azymuth, Milton Nascimento, Chick Corea, Bill Evans, and other great musicians who also influenced me.
About the album
The recordings of the LP Bambu, were made between December of 1979 and January of 1980. The launch took place in 1981, at a show in Catacumba Park in Lagoa, Rio de Janeiro.
The musicians who played on the LP were: Ricardo Silveira, Zé Nogueira, Antonio Sant’Anna, Leo Gandelman, Armando Marçal, Élcio Cáfaro, Daniel Garcia, Joca Moraes, Wilson Meireles, Marcelo Salazar, Marcelo Costa, Café, Damilton Viana, Cezão and the singer Eveline.
When we recorded the album Bambu, we were starting our musical careers and after all of those years we are still great friends and partners and that is the biggest conquest of this record. A record that has opened many doors for all us.
I’d like to add that the drums player Jorge Autuori was a very close friend and he was a great inspiration for me during the time when we worked together with the singer Eliane Pitman, at the end of the seventies.
About the songs
The idea for the title song came during a practice session, while the percussionist Damilton Viana was playing a berimbau of bambu. After the session, I decided to do some research on this fantastic plant and ended up composing the baião “Bambu”. The recording of this track was made giving prominence to the solo and base guitars of Ricardo Silveira. I made the composition “The Bridge” while I was crossing the famous Rio-Niteroi Bridge, after visiting a girlfriend who used to live on the other side of Guanabara Bay.
“Igarapé” was a vision that I had of a pretty Indian girl singing in the middle of the Amazonian Forest. Eveline, with her beautiful voice, sang my composition in a sublime way.
“Chapada of the Corisco” carries the force of the Brazilian northeast and was composed by the great pianista Luizão Paiva, of Maranhão.
“Humaita” is the name of the quarter where I was born in Rio de Janeiro. We held the practice sesssions for the recording of the album Bambu in a studio surrounded by the Atlantic Forest, in my parent’s house which is situated in the valley of Mount Corcovado.
I always adored the beat of the samba schools and when I composed “Samba Torto” I imagined myself playing my Fender Rhodes in the middle of the Avenue, during a Carnival parade. During the first practice session, as we played this song that we still hadn’t given a name to, Zé Nogueira turned to me and said – “Let’s warp the harmony of this samba…”
I spent my infancy living in Leblon, close to the sea, and I was always fascinated by the sound of the waves breaking on the sand. In the composition “Mar”, I try to show my impressions of the beach.
One day, Ricardo Silveira arrived at the practice session, showing us a new song that he had just composed after taking a walk on Ipanema beach as the sun set behind the mountain they call Two Brothers – “Dois Irmãos”. We started to play “Dois Irmãos”, which was a name I gave it. It was the first time that any of Ricardo’s compositions had been recorded.
The choro “Driblando” is a homage that I give to the biggest football player of all the times, in my opinion: “Mané Garrincha”.
The LP Bambu was one of the first records of Instrumental Brazilian Music or Brazilian Jazz, that brought together a generation of musicians now playing the circuits of festivals of Jazz, MPB and World Music in Brazil and all around the world. The album is the same age as my oldest son, Lucas, who is 24. For me, this record is like a dear son who always gives us happiness and good memories. It is an honour for me to see Bambu issued by whatmusic in 2004, and above all, to be part of the same catalogue with other great musicians.

Rio de Janeiro, February 2004

2 comments:

J Thyme...kind said...

What Music drops some goodies, so I'll gladly try this.
Do you know "Naturalmente" by Guilherme Vergueiro? A very fine What Music release. Stop by & say hello.

N3uRal said...

found a new one here.

hxxp://rs148.rapidshare.com/files/40827218/ArielBambu.rar