28 February 2007


This one wraps up my reposts for the time being-this time Sahib is at rapidshare.com as my previous links dead-but he's still at 320.

Another real rarity from Sahib Shihab recorded in Copenhagen where he had been a member of the Danish Radio Group since 1962.As an original pressing this is probably the rarest of all his albums and usually needs a re-mortgage to buy!
It was re-issued in 2001 (perfectly re-packaged and pressed by Octav-even down to the flip back cover)from which I have ripped this share.This has since dissapeared -(I think I read that there were only a few hundred copies pressed?) but comes up on Ebay from time to time.It has also just made a cd issue in Japan.
All the tunes were penned by Shihab during his extended stay in Copenhagen from 1962 and finally put on vinyl during two sessions in August 1965.THere are some big names here in the early stages of their careers-Niels Henning Orsted Pederson,Alan Botschinsky,Palle Mikkelborg and Bent Axen .Rather than waffle on about the music I think its easier just to say if you enjoyed the previous posts then you cannot go wrong with this-it's just superb throughout!


David Federman said...

Thank you for these Sahib Shihab albums. Because of you, this great musician is part of my jazz pantheon. It is sad that all of these records are out of print.

Paul F. said...

If you have NOT grabbed this album yet, you are missing out. This is one of the best albums out there from the time period. Once again, thanks for exposing me this artist when you first posted this album. It is now one of my top favorites and has yet to leave my car's CD player. Your site is a true gem..

cokelarock said...

what a great album. Thanx again for all the sahib shihab reposts. nice work.

jarochobosse said...

Gosh! To me, this is even better than Shihab's recordings with Clarke-Boland! WOW! Thanks again!
I'm unable to find the complete information=credits. Would you mind enlightening us poor bastards..? Pliiiiiis! :)

jarochobosse said...

Amiiigo! I found credits/info in an eBay post, but who the heck is the guitar player??
Sahib Shihab Sax, (baritone), Flute
Palle Mikkelborg Trumpet
Allan Botschinsky Trumpet
Torolf Moelgaard Trombone
Louis Hjulmand Vibes
Bent Jaedig Sax, tenor
? ? Guitar
Bent Axen Piano
Niels-Henning Oersted Pedersen Bass
Alex Riel Drums

cokelarock said...

On the guitar is Fritz von B├╝low

Geist said...

Ever seen this around:
Salah Ragab and The Cairo Jazz Band - Salah Ragab and The Cairo Jazz Band


marko said...

i take it you don't mean the one below and are referring to the 1962 egyptian military release 'celebrating' nixon's visit to egypt?


Geist said...

Yes Marko, thanks, wonderful album. If you're keen I could offer the Various - Milestones compilation (1992).
1. Willis Jackson - Nother'n Like T'Other'n
2. Pony Poindexter - Gumbo Filet
3. Billy Hawks - Oh Baby (I believe I'm Losing you)
4. Eddie "Lock Jaw" Davis - Afro-Jaws
5. Mark Murphy - Milestones
6. Latin Jazz Quartett - Milestones
7. John Coltrane - Bahia
8. Cannonball Adderly - Brother John
9. 24 Carat Black - Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth
10. Funk, Inc - Give me your love
11. Gene Ammons - Jungle Strutt


Paul F. said...

I managed to track down a new copy of the CD re-issue and love the bonus vocal track. This is truly one of my favorite albums now. Thanks again for exposing me to the music...

dubmusic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
db said...

great music!
check out
calisoulbrother records
for rare soul, jazz, funk, brazil & latin records!

taro nombei said...

many thanks Bacoso.
I actually grabbed this a long time ago without acknowledging... (better late than never, I guess)

JuniorBastard said...

You have done many things to expand my appreciation of jazz, but this album may be the greatest gift I've yet received. Thanks Bacoso.