26 December 2006

CURTIS AMY - MUSTANG


























The Texas Tenor
tears it up on this release for Verve from 1966.It's a fantastic LP of beautiful modal tracks, played by one of the most underrated reed players ever, during the most fruitful time of his career. At this point, Amy's moved away from his bluesy Texas roots, and discovered a freer Coltrane-esque sound that works beautifully with his compositions. Although the record was pushed by Verve with the funkier track "Mustang" -also recorded by Donald Byrd- the record really sounds more like a Nathan Davis record, with a mix of tenor and soprano sax that is extremely spiritual.

This has never made it to cd or a vinyl re-ssue -suprising given the popularity of the very funky title track and the fact it's on Verve.This is ripped from the original vinyl and although its done at 320 there is a little amp/burner background noise.I'm on the case with this problem which has blighted a few of my vinyl posts and think it's been resolved.

17 comments:

My Name Is Nobody said...

Is track one missing? I'm only getting five tracks.

Also, I haven't said thanks in a while, so thanks! Always with the awesome tunes.

bacoso said...

hey nobody-yes i have left off the 3.14 version of the title tune by mistake.oops!never mind you,ve got the long version.

bacoso said...

btw nobody thanks a lot for the cannonball and dave pike posts-some good shit going on over at penny tray.will put you on my links later when i have finished my cigar.

faslimy said...

this looks right up my alley, cheers.

Robert said...

Hey Bacoso,thanks and personally don't give a f*** about background noise!! haha
I'm just grateful to get to listen to this masterpiece....

thenatureboy said...

BACOSO i salute you! I'm following you from your very first posts. Always orgy in rhythms...But i have missed something. Can you re-post: PHAROAH SANDERS-SUMMUN BUKMUN UMYUN/DEAF DUMB BLIND? The track "let us go into the house of the lord" is one of my top 10 tracks ever!!Thanks anyway for everything! Be strong,free and healthy to continue what YOU ARE!HAPPY NEW YEAR! NATURE BOY.

Rab Hines said...

Beautiful, as ever.

Happy holidays as well

John said...

Was not familiar with this guy before I saw your post. Gotta say, this shit is on point. Lovin' it.

winton tostello said...

what a find!!!you 've touched us again.
enojo has an immitable groove, spiritual latin or something,that barron solo is tearing me apart always.thank u thank u.

Jack Wilson said...

Just discovered your site. You have excellent taste!
Thank you so much. I've been searching this Curtis Amy session for ages. Is there any chance of uploading track one? I'm happy to share in return. Here's a start, "Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton - Katanga" @320, w/scans.
http://rapidshare.com/files/146770022/CA-BD-K.rar
If you haven't heard this yet, it's a scorcher. I have several more Curtis Amy as well if there's an interest.
Thanks again for all the fine music. Cheers!
Jack

SYBYLYS@AOL.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hanoi Sessions said...

Just finished downloading this, and Christ, does that Enojo track absolutely rock! Looking forward to the rest of the album, thanks for sharing such a great album.

Hoochie Coochie man said...

Darn i missed that Katanga, but looking forward to this one, i know im gonna like it!! THANKS!

taro nombei said...

Another trawl in the OIR archives...
Don't know why I didn't pick up on this one at the time, but I'm glad the link's still good.
It's quite different to the other Amy albums I know.
Nice one indeed!

rowgatien said...

Many thanks for this Amy. Glad it's still up!

brian said...

Could that be repost... please!?

Unknown said...

could you re-post please?
Ray