25 August 2006

JOHN PATTON - UNDERSTANDING






















More B3 business from Blue Note this time from "Big" John Patton leading a trio featuring Harold Alexander on tenor and flute with Hugh Walker on drums.Not much to choose between this and "Let'em Roll"as Patton's best album in my opinion.This set goes outside the parameters of the usual organ trio sound with a more angular set of compositions that aren't so blues/groove based but it's still pretty funky with a really hard edge.Harold Alexander gets into some great overblowing and Hugh Walker keeps the whole thing grooving without resorting to the standard bashing which often accompanies Hammond lps.For me John Patton is the missing link between Larry Young and the mainstream especially on this set.

Incidentally I found the following review from Michael Erlewine at All Music Guide and thought it was a kind of good back handed compliment!!!

"Patton with saxman Harold Alexander and drums. Alexander is playing sax that is just a tad too "out" for an organ combo than is standard for soul jazz, thus turning the sound toward something other than a real groove. If you like progressive sax, you might be able to stay in the groove. Not me, the sound keeps popping me out. I like to get in the groove and ride."

5 comments:

lo-fi said...

Excellent job dear Bacoso! Apart from the value of the album, the incorporation of a recovery record has saved both of us from uneccesary trouble. See, track 6 was corrupt...
Thanks again.
P.S. Do you plan to reupload Gato Barbieri -Chapter three track 2 and Yusef Lateef's Live at Pep's Tracks 4,5 and 6? I hope i don' trouble you too much...

bacoso said...

LO-FI -done !!!

Buscoglione said...

Thanks a lot!
Yes, using recovery record does save us too!!

sulingman said...

I could use a re-up of this one if anyone gets the chance.... Thanks

Ian Van Groove said...

Why can't I find this anywhere? This is the only JP I don't have. Long out of print, I know this post has also long expired & I'm always late to the party but any chance of a re-up?
Actually, most of JPs LPs seem to be unavailable lately. Just posted three here if anyone's interested...
http://vangrooveexpress.blogspot.com/2010/04/john-patton-x-3.html